Accommodation in Svalbard
There is a great selection of accommodation options in Longyearbyen for you to choose from, including everything from small cosy guest-houses to high quality hotels. When deciding on where to book, please remember that you should book a hotel within your budget, bearing in mind the possibility of delays with polar travel. It is also advisable to book several months in advance because April is a busy season.
The Radisson Blu Polar Hotel is normally the HQ of the North Pole Marathon and registered competitors will have access to reserved rooms with this hotel or an alternative. The Radisson Blu Polar Hotel is a full service 5 Star hotel with wi-fi access throughout, satellite tv, quality restaurant, etc.
A choice of restaurants, souvenir shops, sport shops and bars are available within very short walking distance of the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Svalbard Hotel, Svalbard Lodge and Basecamp Trapper's Hotel (pre-departure briefings for the North Pole Marathon will occur in the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel). The Spitsbergen Hotel and Mary Ann's Polarigg are about 5-10 minutes walk to the centre of Longyearbyen while the Spitsbergen Guesthouse and Guesthouse 102 are approximately 2km away in the upper part of the Longyear Valley. There is an ATM machine in the centre of Longyearbyen and credit cards are accepted everywhere.
LINKS TO OTHER HOTELS
- Svalbard Hotel is the newest hotel in town, located in the heart of Longyearbyen.
- Svalbard Lodge consists of 2-room and 3-room fully equipped apartments in the centre of Longyearbyen.
- Basecamp Trapper's Hotel situated in the heart of Longyearbyen, has uniquely decorated rooms that depict trappers' life in the Arctic.
- Spitsbergen Hotel is a similar standard (and priced) hotel to the 5 Star Radisson.
- Mary-Ann's Polarigg provides both basic and hotel standard rooms in a unique setting.
- Spitsbergen Guesthouse is a reasonably priced and highly popular place to stay.
- Guesthouse 102 is probably the cheapest place in town where the facilities are basic but perfectly adequate.
Accommodation at the North Pole
Competitors will share large heated tents, approximately twelve to a tent, at the North Pole Camp
Raised benches / loungers will be provided along with sleeping bags and warm air will be pumped into each sleeping tent.
Food and drink will be served in a separate kithcen tent.
Please don't expect luxury when camping on an Ocean at the North Pole! We will only be 36-48 hours on the ice if the weather is on our side...and then return to land having successfully finished the marathon and having stood at 90N - the precise Geographic North Pole.